Friday, January 12, 2018

THE Indiana Historical Society

When I was in high school, thinking about colleges, the contest came down to three: Indiana University, Purdue University, or the University of Notre Dame.  While Notre Dame would eventually get a Lantzer (my younger brother) as a student--and would publish my first book, the real contest was between IU and PU.  I can still remember the day I got my IU letter of acceptance, and how I knew that my decision was made (even though I did also get into Purdue as well).  I was already a Hoosier by birth, now I was going to be a Hoosier by education.  At my high school graduation, a family friend (and an IU grad) signed my graduation card "Congratulations on attending THE Indiana University." 

That pride in IU saw me through three degrees (two down in Bloomington, one in Indianapolis).  And it eventually brought me into contact with THE Indiana Historical Society.  My home state has robust and county level historical societies and museums, an exceptional state governmental Historical Bureau, a state-of-the-art State Museum, a terrific State Library, one of the leading Historic Landmarks/historic preservation organizations in the nation, and a truly awesome Historical Society.  I could hardly dream as I started work on my first degree, even when I knew I'd always keep a foot firmly planted in Hoosier History, that one day I'd have a book published by the Indiana Historical Society Press (even if I was eventually destined to spend hours upon hours in its library).

All that brings me to the fact that today, not only can I look back on a good month of work talking about Rebel Bulldog, but that my interview with the Press's editor appears on the IHS Press blog.  You can read it here:

https://indianahistory.org/blog/hot-off-the-press-rebel-bulldog/

No comments:

Post a Comment