Sunday, November 30, 2014

Professional Developments

The month of November has flown by!  And here, on the last day of the month we find the first day, for Christians, of Advent. As the years have gone by Christmas, which was always my favorite holiday has a child, has grown increasingly special.  And Advent, this time of preparation and anticipation, is no doubt a part of that process.

Although this morning is grey and overcast, a week ago I was basking in the sun of Southern California.  I was in San Diego, attending the American Academy of Religion's annual conference.  The weather was great and the city was wonderful, the convention was also a great experience.  I took part in a panel that focused on Disney (astute readers of this blog know that Book 5 is centering on just that topic), and I delivered a paper about Christmas at Disney (and said readers also know this is a topic I've discussed before as well).  One of the points I raised was of the Osborne Family light show at Hollywood Studios.  In the process of doing so, I talked about the Nativity set that kicks the display off.  During the question and answer time, that topic came back up, and one of my co-panelists commented that she believed the Nativity to be something of an "afterthought."

I have thought about that comment quite a bit over the past week.  And I have to respectfully disagree.  First, for Christians, the Nativity is hardly an afterthought at all, but rather the center of the entire Christmas experience.  Having one as part of the display, especially when one considers some of the light displays themselves, certainly makes a good deal of sense.  But then there is a second reason: Disney doesn't really do "afterthoughts."  Every portion of the parks are thought out, both in terms of design, as well as display and function.  The Nativity is there because it is supposed to be there.  And on this first Sunday of Advent, that idea should be front and center.

Coming home from the conference, I arrived to a short week which ended in Thanksgiving.  Obviously, it was Thanksgiving in the holiday sense--complete with trips to see family and eat a good deal of turkey.  But thanksgiving as well because Book 3 (Interpreting the Prohibition Era) is now out and (most importantly for me) my author copies arrived.  As a professional historian and writer, it is always gratifying to see the final product and even more so to hold it in your hands.  It is my hope that the book will serve its intended purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment