Saturday, August 3, 2013

Tides of Time


 

Vacation is a time of rest, relaxation, reflection, and re-invigoration.  But that doesn't stop relevant stories from popping up, just me from commentating on them.  While I was enjoying good times with good friends and family "Up North" in Michigan (see above), the following came my way -- I was just delayed in offering my two cents.  So, here some ramblings from one who is "tanned, rested, and ready" to engage once again!

The first article that came my way was by Rachel Held Evans about why Millennials are leaving churches.  Let me start by saying that I enjoy reading her stuff, whether I always agree with it or not.  She often asks good questions about American evangelicalism and raises good points that contribute to conversation and soul searching.  That being said, and I won't rehash the (at times I think devastating) critiques offered here or here about her article, I will say that I really don't think we know enough about Millennials and their habits/feelings about faith, religion (organized or not), and what not to be writing to deeply about them.  Perhaps, that is because (I guess) I am a member of Generation X -- and don't feel all that ready to talk to much about my generation, let alone the one my younger sister, brother, and cousins (again, I guess) belong to.  But in our media driven society, I can't say that I'm surprised that based on a few polls and blog posts, this kind of article could be written or have gotten the attention that it has.  If you don't believe me, just take the time to read or look at the comments in the three articles linked above.  And yet the thing that jumped out at me the most about RHE's article was something I've talked about before when it comes to some in the Emergent Church and their critique of the Religious Right:  A surprising amount of naivete when it comes to politics and the culture wars.  One of the points RHE makes is that Millennials have been turned off by the culture wars of their parents, but at the same time, she asserts that Millennials want the Church to be active in the pursuit of "social justice."  Her chief example of working for social justice (as I read her article) is pushing for the rights of the LGBT community.  The problem is that the moment laws become involved or become the goal, you have entered into the world of politics, and hence the very culture war that RHE claims Millennials want no part of.  It is, at best, an ill conceived argument, or at least a very under developed one.  

The second article that caught my eye was also over a debate, this one over a hymn.  The Presbyterian Church (USA) is currently working on a new hymnal and was considering including a song by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend entitled "In Christ Alone."  The problem for some members of the committee was a line in which Getty and Townend talk about Christ's death on the cross appeasing the wrath of God for sinners.  You can take a look at the full lyrics here.  Wanting to include the popular praise and worship song in the hymnal, the committee proposed changing the lyrics to talking about God's love instead.  The songwriters said no, word leaked out, and controversy ensued (you can read more here and here).  One can see it as either a major change (and thus an attack on the theological message of the song) or a minor one.  Either way, the story is a reminder of two major problems for the Mainline of the Seven Sisters:  The first is that the inclusion of the song (altered or not) might be seen as an attempt at a "cosmetic change" to attract younger people (such as the Millennials RHE talks about) -- perhaps in a genuine attempt at outreach, perhaps in a somewhat cynical one.  The other is that the entire debate speaks (as the linked articles argue) the theological "wishy- washy-ness" of the Seven Sisters, in particular the Presbyterian Church (USA) in this case (one wonders what they would omit if the Westminster Shorter Catechism was proposed today).  Or, perhaps John Turner's call to "end the hymnal wars" with the recognition that serving on such a committee to begin with is sure to be a thankless job no matter what your theology is what we should take away from this dust up.

The final article was an interesting one about Pope Francis and the Press.  Is it possible, in this day and age to get a religious message out through the secular press?  Pope Francis seems to think so.  How long this will continue remains to be seen.  After all, the press seemed initially reluctant to comment on how many young people showed up for World Youth Day in Brazil.  The figure that is now coming out in reports is 3 million.  Not to bad for his first such event -- and one that could be even more important in the years to come, not just for Roman Catholicism but also for Christians of whatever denomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment