Wednesday, May 30, 2012

One Month On

My, my, how time does fly.....

One month ago today, my second book The Mainline (http://www.amazon.com/Mainline-Christianity-Future-Americas-Majority/dp/0814753310/ref=la_B001QVB830_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338432618&sr=1-1) was released.  To say that I am a very pleased author thus far is an understatement.

First, a thank you to all who have purchased a copy thus far.  It is an honor to be an author, and for family, friends, your professional peers, students, and strangers to buy a copy of your book is not something I believe comes with a good deal of responsibility to produce a quality product (and be ready to discuss points that it raises).  Hence, I am pleased that long before official reviews have appeared, thanks to blogs, there has already been some engagement with the core of the book....I'm also pleased that (generally) where there has been disagreement, there has also been a sense of professionalism:  That is, that we can differ on things and not resort to name calling, dismissing arguments out of hand, or professional slander mongering.

Secondly, I also pleased to say that it appears as though there is going to be more opportunities for that kind of discussion.  I have been asked, and, while no date has been set, I have accepted the invitation to speak about the book at the Congregational Library in Boston!  I am very excited about getting to go back to both Boston (a city I love) and to the Congregational Library (where I got to do some of the initial research for this book).  I hope that this leads to other speaking opportunities as well.

Lastly, for tonight, I keep thinking about how this experience compares to the release of my first book.  There are no doubt differences, in large part because this time I know what to do better (and better know what is expected of me).  There are also better tools at my disposal (Amazon.com has created an AWESOME author's page system).  But I can say, that at the end of this first month, the book is currently in libraries in 28 states (and the District of Columbia) as well as at least in two foreign countries.  And I think that coverage area is wider, than where book 1 was at this time. 

For the ability to reach such an audience as I have already, and to the one that remains to be reached, I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment